CTO, Developer, Designer, and Entrepreneur
- Began 17 years of freelance web and print design, web development, and small business consulting
- B.A., Economics, Clark University
- 2.5 years agency experience working on critical design & production for Fortune 500 web properties
- Co-founded unique, highly functional, map-centric goods transaction site and platform licensing startup
- Served for a year as design/dev team leader of privately funded startup
- Led notable consumer-facing SAAS brand through substantial expansion and technical upgrades
- Senior engineering hire in 14-person agile team building leading-edge ad tech solution
- Served as CTO and lead engineer at funded, award-winning travel tech startup and brought to aquisition
- Accomplished, resourceful programmer and system architect.
- Extensive Angular, React+Redux, custom Backbone, and other MV framework work
- MERN fluent (MongoDB+Express+React+Node)
- Relational DB planning experience across MySQL and MongoDB
- Cloud hosting planning, migration + management: Amazon EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53
- iOS app development in Objective C
- Java + Hibernate experience
- Java for Android; Android development
- LAMP experience, CakePHP
- Extensive AS3 + Flash dev
- Leader in agile team environments
- Strong communication and organizational skills; problem lover, problem solver.
- Git-saavy codebase cleaner and maintainer
- Ace visual designer & media producer with mastery of a large toolkit.
- UI/UX design and production with Adobe PS, AI, FW; Balsamiq, Cacoo, Visio
- Rich UI concept-to-production involving HTML5 animation; Adobe Edge, Flash, Premiere, After Effects; 3D Studio Max
- Rapid learner of new programming languages
RefreshNovember 2017 - Current
CTO, Head of Product
Ideated, designed, built, and currently managing universal-platform application ecosystem for corporate HR.
Hello ScoutAcquired by LuxicoJanuary 2016 - August 2017
CTO, Lead Engineer
Planned and built tools and infrastructure for a digital concierge business serving 30+ hotel properties resulting in > $1m run rate; named Most Innovative Travel Startup at Sabre, HITEC and Phocuswright conferences in 2016
- Created a customized platform for running daily operations with human operators serving hotel guests in a work-from-home environment
- Engineered a robust integration with multiple property management systems, allowing us to integrate with hotel partners
- Built out front-end web apps for mobile web and web in React and Backbone
- Built a hotel-facing tool for managing daily bookings, tours and activities
- Managed the full stack from server deployments to front-end and QA
- Oversaw all technical aspects of company's aquisition by Luxico, including IP considerations and product integration
AppNexusJuly 2013 - November 2015
Senior Front-end Engineer
Developed, launched, and supported Twixt, an industry-best tool for organized buying and selling of premium digital ad inventory. Twixt was built with Angular. The product was a stealth initiative of AppNexus, the world's largest independent ad exchange.
- Created an advanced proprietary spreadsheet application from scratch (like Excel/Google Sheets) and was feature owner for lifetime of product
- Capable of handling 100,000 rows in any browser through virtualized data and rendering optimization
- Instant-persist editablity, per-field validation and error hints, cross-field formula calculation
- Row hierarchies with infinite depth
- Full keyboard navigation; range-capable copy & paste
- Custom widgets like expandable text editor, select+autocomplete combo, formula editing, date range picker
- Flexible rendering component for use in applications like flowcharts
- Oversaw feature planning and was sub-team lead for other major feature creation
- Introduced Angular-friendly DOM-centric diagramming style to team
- Negotiation module with live interactive change guide
- Campaigns module - custom-built reports tracking up-to-date ad display info via DoubleClick integration
EnloopOctober 2011 - 2013
Chief Technology Officer
Began company co-leading CTO position in 2012 to manage ongoing growth and R&D.
- Helped with strategic feature planning that saw company through 400% revenue growth during tenure to date
- Migrated company infrastructure to Amazon Web Services platform
- Guided patent process (and named in filings) on innovative dynamic document generation system
- Ongoing design, planning and development of aforementioned features and many more involving Java + Hibernate, PHP + ExpressionEngine CMS, jQuery, ExtJS, and more
Director of User Experience
Joined team 5 months after launch to revamp consumer-facing app UI, funnel pages and purchase flows
- Planning and executing front-end development of new features
- Methodical, reasoned UI design for 10 major site upgrades, working closely with back-end dev team to ensure feasibility
- Created feature requirements documents for new features
- Extensive HTML + CSS + jQuery + ExtJs development
- Redesign and copywriting of capture, informational, and help/support pages
- Diagrammed user flows for review with stakeholders (CEO, CTO) to improve UX
- Redesigned, re-wrote, and unified said UX and sales/info pages. Example: saw 30% improvement in conversion to premium subscriptions with one release
- Worked hands-on with all front-end technologies to deliver product
DoAnything.comSeptember 2010 - August 2011
VP, Creative Engineering / Lead Front-End Designer & Developer
Full-time hire in small team to plan and execute the social productivity product doanything.com. Work involved:
- A month of consulting with stakeholders to distill business concept into a cohesive product definition and modular phasing plan (w/ 2 others)
- All branding and UI design. Producing a fully-formed package of wireframes followed by design mockups (w/ 1 other)
- Planning and executing front-end development (solo). This included:
- Evaluating site requirements and choosing technologies
- Producing HTML + EJS + CSS from designs in AI and PS
- Understanding admin procedure on Amazon EC2 + EBS + S3 and our implemented Cake PHP + MySQL backend, and writing and deploying new PHP services on the DoAnything server when necessary
View live: alpha.doanything.com Username: guest Password: access
Explore by creating a new user and group, and playing with the Dashboard and Public Page.
LocanetworksSeptember 2008 - August 2011
Co-Founder / CMO / Front-End Designer & Developer
Started, built and managed this white-label mapping platform startup. Work included:
- Branding and marketing for Locanetworks and its public deployment, Locafree.org
- UI design for full-screen skinnable Flash application, HTML+JS admin tools, and Android mobile app Locafree
- Front-end development of desktop experiences. This included:
- Creating a full-screen Flash mapping application in AS3 with reusable widgets such as a custom windowing system and map data clustering, database-controlled skin options
- Building a JQuery administration tool for the platform
- Same Amazon AWS and backend services tasks and experience as above
Exent TechnologiesFebruary 2007 - September 2010
Lead Web Designer, Verizon Games and more
UI design/production, marketing pages, and all-around guru for Verizon Games (the monthly videogame subscription package for Verizon DSL customers) and for similar services also provided by Exent for Qwest communications, T-Mobile and FairPoint.
- Redesign of the Verizon Games website
- UI rationale, A/B testing; designed final layout, color schemes; prepared final design documents
- Planning and visual design of brand-new Verizon Games Community
- Explored feasibility of 3rd-party meta-game systems (Exent settled on Nitro, by Bunchball Inc.)
- Created layout and produced HTML + CSS; worked on-site in Tel Aviv to assist dev team with integration
- Negotiated with Bunchball to extend existing technology to allow interactive room environments in Flash
- Designed and delivered virtual rooms with animated video and effects using 3Ds Max, Aftereffects, and Flash
- Redesign of the Verizon Games Player desktop application
- Submitted core design proposal for rich Flash desktop application which formed basis for new Player
- Oversaw outsourced team on-site at Momentum Design Labs in final design and delivery of Player UI
- Similar roles in white-labeled content for Qwest, T-Mobile, and others
Freelance2001 - Present
Flash Microsite Designer / Developer Extraordinaire
Over 30 clients ranging from MSN to hip-hop superproducer Just Blaze.
View andywalldesign.com for this part of the portfolio. These sites are best appreciated in full motion.
Consultant / Developer
For small businesses. Some highlights:
- Interactive Purchasing Solutions, Inc. (2005)
- Researched and designed scalable online store for this startup provider of merchandise sales channels to private and parochial secondary schools.
- Implementation of web stores grew revenues in online sales by 1,053% between 4Q 2005 and 4Q 2006, and current clients include Choate, Kingswood-Oxford, Taft, and the Benjamin School of Palm Beach, FL.
- Greenfield Online, Inc. (2006)
- Developed branding for paid-survey programs THINKACTION and IQUESTION.
- Revamped landing site for SURVEY ROUTER program, with traffic of over 200,000 users per month driving annual revenues of $1.2 million.
- SVR Video, LLC (2004 - 2007)
- Developed core branding, created user interfaces, and suggested and designed promotional materials for this producer of high-end video surveillance systems.
- Sales grew 30% in 6 months following branding adoption.